Skillet Gardener's Pie

11:33 PM


This is not the type of meal I typically eat but was craving something savory with that old home style feel. When I came across this recipe for a vegan version of Shepard's Pie using kidney beans as the main protein, I was off to pick up the few ingredients I needed. This is comfort food that I really get into. I love potatoes in all forms, they go so well with all vegetables. In this dish, I added a few extra veggies then the recipe called for. For one, I had some asparagus that I needed to use up. And the other was corn since it's in season and full of wonderful flavor and light color, it's a nice compliment. This dish hit the spot. Looking forward to the left overs, I imagine they will be even better. 


Skillet Shepard's Pie


  • Ingredients

  • For the mashed potatoes 
  • 2 pounds Yukon gold or red potatoes (I used gold)
  • 1/2 cuunsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • mineral salt and pepper to taste
  • Fillng
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 large carrots, sliced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup asparagus, sliced in 1" pieces
  • 1/2 cup green beans, cut in 1″ pieces
  • 1 corn off the cob
  • 2 cups baby spinach leaves, packed
  • 1 can (15oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tbsp tamari, soy sauce or coconut aminos
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
  • 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 tsp. dried)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sage
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch...add more as needed
  • 2 tablespoons water (or veg. broth)
  • extra rosemary or thyme for garnish
  • mineral salt & pepper to taste

Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. (I added a few springs of thyme to the water.) Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes, add milk and oil, mash and stir until desired consistency. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and set aside in a warm place.

While the potatoes are cooking, start the filling. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high, add onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, celery and mushrooms, sauté for 3 more minutes.

Turn heat to medium, add the vegetable broth, tamari, kidney beans, green beans, corn, asparagus and herbs, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until all vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. There should still be some liquid in the pan, but if it has become too dry, add a little of the potato-cooking water. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts.

In a small bowl, mix the corn starch with water until smooth, add to the pan. Cook, stirring, until mixture has thickened.

Spoon the potatoes evenly over the top of the filling and sprinkle with chopped rosemary. If potatoes have cooled, put the skillet under the broiler for a minute or two. Serve immediately while hot.

Notes:

I usually just fill my bowl with the veggies and top with the potatoes and rosemary, salt & pepper. Seems simpler to me for this party of one.


    Enjoy !

    P.S., This would serve six as the original recipe says, I had tons of left overs even though I ate alot. At least I'm set for a few meals. :) 

    Source: Fat Free Vegan Kitchen 'Skillet Gardener's Pie'

    You Might Also Like

    0 comments

    Like us on Facebook

    Flickr Images