FAVORITE HUMMUS

1:11 PM

Favorite Hummus

I love hummus and eat it often. I've bought it for years but have now gotten into the habit of making it myself since it's so quick and easy. A basic chickpea hummus recipe is handy to have on hand and is so versatile. It can be used as a dip for vegetables, served with crackers, pita chips or bread; also use it as a spread for sandwiches, wraps and as a binder in places you might use mayo type products.

I like my hummus in different consistencies depending on what I'm using it for. For spreads I like it a little thinner and juicier. If you find you are the same, add a little water to whatever portion you'll  be using. For dips I prefer it on the thicker side and keep the recipe as is. You may also like my Simple White Bean Hummus which I use to keep it varied.

Favorite Hummus

Pair it with various vegetables of choice like cucumbers, carrots, colored bell peppers and tomatoes just to name a few. I just recently started using organic white corn tortilla chips in place of pita chips and it is fantastic, seriously...who knew! And the chips are gluten free making it an even better choice with all the flavor and crunch of a pita chip. 
.
Favorite Hummus

FAVORITE HUMMUS

Ingredients
  • 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)(15 0z), drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups cooked
  • 4 tablespoons tahini
  • 1/4 cup water (+ 2 tablespoons as needed)
  • 1 small garlic clove or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • juice of 1 or 2 lemons, to taste
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon roasted pine nuts, optional
  • 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt, or to taste

Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until desired consistency. Taste for flavor adding anything here and there that you like....garlic, lemon, salt, cumin. Depending on the size of your lemons or how many you used, you may like to add the extra 2 tablespoons of water for slightly thinner consistency. I used all the water for the recipe pictured here.

Serve with toppings of choice or plain. I have garnished here with chickpeas, pine nuts, chopped parsley and a dash of smoked paprika.

Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to a week or so.

Notes: 

You can use 2 tablespoon tahini + 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil if you like. Or you can use all olive oil omitting the tahini all together and still have a great hummus. Keep in mind the olive oil will slightly color the hummus, but not in a bad way.

Enjoy !

This hummus pairs perfectly with this Spicy Carrot & Hummus Sandwich


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images