SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEA SALAD + CRISPY SHALLOTS

11:09 PM

SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEA SALAD + CRISPY SHALLOTS

Hello again! 

It's been two weeks since I've been here and I'm so happy to be back. Today I've brought with me a salad that I think you'll love as much as I do. As a food blogger, I tend to skip around a lot but I've made this a few times over the last few weeks which means it must be pretty darn good. It's one of those salads I find myself craving. I'm totally in love with sweet potatoes at the moment (and forever more) and they are great in salads. The crispy shallots take it to another level. Truth is crispy shallots equal awesomeness! And the simple lemon tahini dressing adds a creaminess making this a salad dream come true. At least for me anyway, I love creamy dressings! There's nothing wimpy about this salad either. It's a perfect warm salad to keep you cozy and happy. I've also got plans for another sweet potato salad coming your way soon...it'll have a Thai peanut dressing. Oh yes, and its soooo good! But in the meantime, I urge you to pick up everything you need for this salad and get on it, pronto!

Follow my kitchen on Instagram. It's where I share most of my daily meals and inspiration with a sprinkle of randomness thrown in. I'd love to have you join me! 

SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEA SALAD + CRISPY SHALLOTSSWEET POTATO & CHICKPEA SALAD + CRISPY SHALLOTSSWEET POTATO & CHICKPEA SALAD + CRISPY SHALLOTSSWEET POTATO & CHICKPEA SALAD + CRISPY SHALLOTS

SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEA SALAD + CRISPY SHALLOTS

Ingredients
  • 1 large sweet potato, diced
  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas
  • 1 large shallot, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • garlic powder
  • chili, chipotle or smoked paprika powder
  • pink salt
  • leafy greens of choice (I used baby kale)
  • pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Simple Lemon Tahini Dressing
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • juice of 1/2 medium lemon
  • 2-3 tablespoons water, + more as needed
  • pink salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 400F. 

Roast: Place sweet potato and chickpeas on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with a silpat, parchment paper or lighlty greased. Drizzle with oil, toss to coat. Sprinkle a few dashes of salt, garlic and chili powder of choice over top. Place in oven and roast for about 25 - 30 min, stirring once half way through, potatoes will be ready when they are fork tender. Ovens vary so your cooking time may be more or less.

Crispy shallots: Heat remaining oil in a small/medium pan over medium heat, add shallots and cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Lower heat to medium low and cook the shallots until nicely browned, about another 5 - 10 minutes. Once browned to your liking, remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate (if you leave them in the pan to cool, they may cook a bit more (possibly overcook) since the pan will still be hot). Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper if you like.

Dressing: Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and add a more water as needed to thin. Set aside. 

To serve, add leafy greens to serving dish/plate, top with 1/2 of the roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas along with 1/2 of the crispy shallots. Add a sprinkle of pepitas over top and drizzle with 1/2 of the dressing. Add a squeeze of the remaining lemon half over to if you like!

Serves 2. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images