Persimmon & Grape Baked Oatmeal

11:43 AM

Persimmon & Grape Baked Oatmeal
Persimmon & Grape Baked Oatmeal
Persimmon & Grape Baked Oatmeal

I had my first persimmon about a year ago. I've always admired their bright color and shape. Finally having picked one up, I fell in love at first taste. They have their own unique flavor...a sweet cinnamony flavor that I look forward to when they're in season. This recipe came about as I had a couple lying around. After a quick google search for persimmon recipes I decided to put them in a baked oatmeal, which by the way is a first for me. I found a baked oatmeal recipe for persimmons and cranberries which looked great and also one for persimmon and apple. I happen to have red grapes on hand, and after looking in my trusted Flavor Bible saw that persimmons and grapes compliment each other. I've so been wanting to try grapes from the oven so it was born this persimmon & grape baked oatmeal. The baked grapes are warm and juicy, while the persimmons are soft and flavorful. I also used a vanilla bean as I ran out of vanilla extract which was a nice touch and treat. If you have one on hand give it a try! I was super pleased with this combination of ingredients, although it sounds strange, but it's full of flavor, texture and not to mention your home will smell wonderful as it bakes. This is so easy to put together and well the worth the wait! 

Persimmon & Grape Baked Oatmeal

Persimmon & Grape Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients
  • 1 fuyu persimmon, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup red grapes (use your favorite color grapes)
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • pinch mineral salt
  • 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In medium bowl combine the oatmeal, cinnamon, cardamom, pecans and salt. In another bowl combine the milk, syrup and vanilla. Add wet mixture to the dry mixture, mix well. Add in persimmon and grapes, mix again.

Place mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 9 baking dish and bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm with a splash or two of non-dairy milk over top. 


Serves 4 or 2 generously.

Notes:

Sub in fresh cranberries for the grapes. Try using diced apples of choice in place of the persimmon. Use more of either of the fruits if you like. 



Enjoy!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images