Pear Mosaic Tart with Cinnamon Maple Glaze

8:23 AM


I've been playing around a couple times with this pear tart and finally decided I like the simplicity of these ingredients. I actually started with apples like this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, but decided to try pears and it came out pretty good. I love tarts and do crave them every once in awhile so this hit the spot. Not too overly sweet with nice flavors from the glaze. This would be nice with some walnut pieces too. I had a little extra glaze left over and could have glazed some walnut pieces and sprinkled them on top too, but next time. :)

In this recipe, I'm using a store bought pastry puff but please feel free to make your own. I haven't attempted that yet but will try later with another tart no doubt. I was happy to see that Pepperidge Farm's carries a plant based pastry puff. Let me say that I don't recommend eating this stuff all the time, and homemade is better if you do, but every once in awhile is ok, especially if your in a pinch and need a pastry puff. Now to find an organic store bought pastry puff, that will be a keeper!


So easy to put together. I just laid the thawed unfolded pastry puff straight onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (still waiting for my silpat), no flour on the bottom needed. I didn't even roll the dough...just unfolded and placed on the paper. Core your pears, I used a metal teaspoon (shown above) to core mine. Thinly slice your pears, I leave the skin on for a rustic appeal and because I just like it like that, but you can peel your if you like. Sprinkle a layer of corn starch on the pastry puff, about 1 teaspoon or so, this will help soak up some moisture. (You may be fine skipping this step, my oven is tilted and the juices flow down to the edge keeping it too moist so this step helps me. I also tried coating the pears with corn starch but didn't like the crustiness it left on them after cooking.) Lay your pears slices down leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch along the edges. You can see in the photo directly above that the pears were too close to the edge at the top portion of the picture, luckily I noticed and fixed it before putting it in the oven so the pastry puffed up nicely around all edges. Next, add glaze and a light sprinkling of coconut sugar, bake for 50 minutes...let cool a few minutes and enjoy...(you don't need to move it to to a wired rack to cool, I did this just to have a cleaner photo)


I know it not very colorful and my not be the most beautiful thing to look at but it's so very good on the palate. :) 


Pear Mosaic Tart with Cinnamon Maple Glaze

Adapted from this recipe at Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 1 pastry puff of choice (I used Pepperidge Farm but homemade is best if possible)
  • 3 or 4 pears, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick or so
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch, optional
  • 1 or 2 tablespoons coconut sugar 

Maple Cinnamon Glaze
  • 3 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or use a silpat, place thawed pastry puff on top. Cover the pastry puff with a light kitchen towel so it doesn't dry out, set aside away from the oven heat.

Prepare your glaze by combining all three ingredients in a small bowl. Stir and stir until the cinnamon finally incorporates into the syrup. Set aside.

Core and slice your pears about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Doesn't have to be exact, in the middle would be great. I just did it by hand and some were thinner and some were thicker. Layer your tart leaving about 1/4 inch along the edges. Using a silicon brush, lightly add the glaze to the pears and a light coat on the edges as well. Finally, sprinkle with a light dusting of coconut sugar.

Bake for 50 minutes turning 180 degrees after 30 minutes. Remove, let cool and enjoy. Serves 4 to 6.


Simple and delicious...Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images